Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ROTW: Breakfast Casserole (ANYTIME)

Oh Goodness is this yummy! I had to use a roll of jimmy dean sausage that my mom gave me. I went to Allrecipes.com (its my got to site for recipes) and plugged in Sausage, and up came all sorts of casserole recipes and soups....

I'm in Florida and just wasn't in the mood for soups. So I skipped over those and opened a bunch of tabs of the casseroles. I scrolled through my open tabs looking at the pictures and the ingredients. ( I love seeing the recipe, if it looks yummy I am more likely to make it ) I had three I narrowed it down too...then I made my final decision: Country Breakfast Casserole

I generally read through the comments below the recipe to see what others have done to make the recipe better or for mistakes that people have found in the recipe, so I can avoid disasters. But i realize now that I did not do that this time.

Ingredients
  • 1 (16 ounce) package breakfast sausage
  • 1 chopped green onion
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 (2.64 ounce) package country gravy mix
  • 6 slices bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
  • paprika to taste (optional)
I followed this pretty much the way it was. Except I swapped out the green onion with sweet onion, and the bread with a package of stovetop cornbread stuffing mix (un made). I also added one more egg, 1/4 cup more milk, and 1/4 cup more water. ( I wanted to make sure I had enough liquid to reach the stuffing) I also sauteed about 2 TBS of diced Jalapenos in butter and left them until they were sort of caramelized, and added it to my pie dish with the sausage/onion mixture - I made this in two 9 inch pie plates. I wanted a little more kick to mine.

Brown the sausage, add in the chopped onion, saute until onions are translucent. Place this at the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Mix together the eggs, water, milk, and gravy mix ( I used one that makes two cups-pepperidge farms sausage country gravy I believe-(which I had to run to the store and get because I thought I had one but didn't). I added some garlic, and a pinch of cayenne pepper, some onion powder, kosher salt and pepper. Then pour this on top of the sausage mixture. Top with the bread. Top with the butter. ( I used the stovetop cornbread stuffing un made, and no butter-when it was almost done I pulled it out and used spray butter on the top) Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.

This was sooo sooo sooo good! Kids went back for seconds! Even the baby ate it!






Next time I think I might add some Zuchinni or squash to it as well....up the eggs and milk again...maybe even some mushrooms. Yummy! I love casseroles, You can basically throw in anything and they are good....most of the time....I've had a few come out horrible.

Enjoy!

<3 Carrie

1 comment:

Hey Guys! Leave me a comment, I love reading them! But don't do it just to promote your own blog ;) !